2017 KTM 250 SX-F
The 250 SX-F has been on top of the MX2 World Championship for many years now and added a second AMA Supercross Lites Championship to its crowded trophy cabinet. But that’s no surprise. The successful combination of a powerful and torquey engine in a lightweight and agile chassis is bound to place the 250 SX-F onto podium after podium.
- Engine: The 250 SX-F engine is known to be the strongest engine in the MX2 paddock. It screams at the top of its lungs at 14,000rpm, but is equally happy producing tons of torque and power across the rest of the rev range. Its compact architecture contributes to an excellent mass centralization, supporting the rideability of the bike. And it only weighs 26.1kg. That’s including the incredibly beneficial electric starter. David, meet Goliath.
- Electric Starter: The 250 SX-F is fitted with a unique electric starter as standard, which is a clear advantage when it comes to crunch time in the heat of battle. A strong starter motor made by Mitsuba and the proven starter drive will fire up your track star time and time again at the push of a button.
- Transmission: The engine is fitted with a smooth 5-speed gearbox, which features a special surface treatment on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears for best reliability. The advanced ´No Dirt´ gear lever design prevents dirt from blocking the joint of the lever and guarantees a safe activation of the transmission. All 4-stroke engines are fitted with a gear sensor to give the option of different engine characteristics for each gear.
- Engine Management System: The state-of-the-art Keihin Engine Management System with electronic fuel injection features a 44mm throttle body. Thanks to its unique injector position, the engine’s response is instantaneous. And to make life even easier, separate systems for cold starts and idle adjustment await you. The lightweight ECU features a unique traction and launch control system for lightning-quick response when the bar drops and maximized grip thanks to different maps that sync with to the gear you’re in. As an ultimate bonus, the rider can unleash an even more powerful mapping via the handlebar map switch.
- 98.2 kg: The main target for the KTM engineers when developing the SX models was a massive weight reduction compared to the previous generation. The result: the current SX-F models are the slimmest, lightest bikes in the competition, even though the 4-strokes are equipped with an electric starter as a standard feature, while the competition still needs to be kick started. You can just focus on kicking ass.
- Monoshock: The WP monoshock has been developed with the entire frame and swingarm architecture in mind, including the linkage system and the WP AER 48 front forks. It features machined and black anodized components and is a valuable, high-end product compared to roughcast reservoirs. A new setting and a softer spring perfectly match the reworked front-end set-up and its sparkling WP color scheme lets everyone know you have excellent taste in suspension.
- Forks: The lightweight WP AER 48 front fork, a 48mm USD air-sprung fork developed by WP in close collaboration with KTM, is a split fork with separate functions for each leg. Right off the dealer floor, these forks are more comfortable and more sensitive than ever. But you can still hammer the hell out of them.
- TCNC machined triple clamps have been something of a KTM trademark for years. Ensuring a precise handling, they perceptibly support the flex characteristics, and with it the action of the forks. For MY2017, the upper triple clamp specifically features a redesign in conjunction with the new fork tubes.
- Brakes: You couldn’t brake any harder, better, faster or stronger. These high-tech Brembo babies are combined with lightweight wave discs made by Galfer. For MY2017, the rear brake features a 10mm longer brake pedal and you get new, less aggressive brake pads all round.
- Handlebar Map Switch: All 4-stroke models are equipped with a sophisticated new multi-functional handlebar map switch, which does three things: Activation of the traction control; Activation of the launch control; Selection of an alternative power curve (Standard or Advanced),The traction control is a unique feature none of the competitors can offer so far. It guarantees more efficient traction and better control of the bike when accelerating. dard configuration. Don’t you just love the idea of a boost button?
- Battery & Wiring Harness: All SX-F engines are fitted with the proven electric starter. A super compact and lightweight 495g Lithium-Ion starter battery breathes life into the engine and contributes to low vehicle weight.
- Electric Starter: Like all KTM 4-stroke motorcycles, the 250 SX-F is started at the push of a button - a priceless advantage when you’re on the clock.
- Design: 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- Displacement: 249.9 cm³
- Starter: Electric starter
- Transmission: 5-speed
- Wheelbase: 1485 ± 10 mm
- Ground clearance: 370 mm
- Seat height: 960 mm
- Tank capacity (approx.): 7 l
- Weight READY TO RACE (without fuel): 98.2 kg
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- 249.9 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 78 x 52.3 mm
- Front Suspension
- WP-USD, AER 48, Ø 48 mm
- Front Brakes
- Disc brake
- Rear Suspension
- WP shock absorber with linkage
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brake
- Dry Weight
- 98.2 kg
- Fuel Capacity
- 7 L
- 1485 ± 10 mm
- Ground Clearance
- 370 mm
- Seat Height
- 960 mm
- Final Drive
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4 in.